HOMEABOUTME OURSTORYGOINTOTHECHAPELFAITHMOTHERHOODSEWINGRECIPESPROJECTS

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Change, Change, Change


In our small group last week, we spent some time discussing what God was doing in each of our lives right now. As I was thinking about my answer..all I could think was, "What is He not doing?!" It seems like everything in my life is changing. And if you know me at all..I am not so great with change...ok I am awful at change..like maybe the worst ever. I love routine, predictability, safety, steady...steady..steady.  I have noticed I have a particularly difficult time around any season of change: birthdays, new jobs, moving, etc...even when these changes are meant to be positive. My husband has spent a lot of time trying to console my fears about changes..normally late at night or early in the morning. This last year has brought more change for me than I have ever had in my whole life combined. In the last year I have student taught, graduated college, gotten married, mothered a Kindergartener, moved out of the home I raised Callie in, relocated to Kentucky, transitioned into a family of 3, started a part time job, mothered a big bad first grader, went to Europe twice and as of Friday..just got a full time job. Something in my mind just wants to crawl in a cave and wait for change to stop! But through the verses that God has placed in my lap, I am determined to figure out the best way to deal with seasons of change.

I know through scripture that everytime God spoke to someone about things He wanted to do through them: major changes happened. Reason being- they had to adjust their lives to God. And once those adjustments were made- God accomplished His purposes through those He called.

I wish there was an account of the thoughts of my favorite characters in the Bible. I always wonder if they thought the same kinds of thoughts that I do...

Some major adjustments :
Noah could not continue life as usual and build an ark at the same time (Gen. 6).
Abram could not stay in Ur or Haran and father a nation in Canaan (Gen. 12:1-8).
Moses could not stay on the backside of the desert herding sheep and stand before Pharaoh at the same time (Ex. 3).
David had to leave his sheep to become king (I Sam. 16:1-13).
Amos had to leave the sycamore trees in order to preach in Israel (Amos 7:14-15).
Jonah had to leave his home and overcome a major prejudice in order to preach in Nineveh (Jonah).
Peter, Andrew, James and John had to leave their fishing businesses in order to follow Jesus (Mt. 4:18-22).
Matthew had to leave his tax collector's booth to follow Jesus (Mt. 9:9).
Saul (later Paul) had to completely change directions in his life in order to be used of God to preach the gospel to the Gentiles (Acts 9:1-19).

Lately, these changes seem to have created worrying monsters of their own. In my quiet time, I am constantly thankful to the Lord for the oppurtunities and for holding me tight during every new phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment