HOMEABOUTME OURSTORYGOINTOTHECHAPELFAITHMOTHERHOODSEWINGRECIPESPROJECTS

Monday, February 25, 2013

A Heart Like Jesus- Part 1

I'm working through a small book right now that I stumbled upon at the library. It's written by Max Lucado and is titled, "A Heart Like Jesus." I sometimes browse throught the Christian life portion of the library looking for something that catches my eye but this book is tiny and was almost laying behind other books. I was going to just straighten it back up when I noticed that it was really small and the title immediately caught my attention. Small books in my world right now mean that there is a possibility that I could read and enjoy them in the few minutes I have here and there. And the title..in all honesty was so far from how my heart felt at the moment. I checked it out and began the first chapter today. I am so glad I checked it out. Even from the first paragraph, God started carving into my mind and specific message he wanted me to hear, know, and apply. The group of students I was working with was taking a library tour so I started joting notes down and quickly covered the front of back page of a white page of computer paper.

The first paragraph:
What if, for one day, Jesus were to become you? What if, for twenty-four hours, Jesus wakes up in your bed, walks in your shoes, lives in your house, assumes your schedule? Your boss becomes his boss, your mother becomes his mother, you pains become his pains? With one exception, nothing about your life changes. Your health doesn't change.  Your circumstances don't change. Your schedule isn't altered. Your problems aren't solved. Only one change occurs. What if, for one and one night, Jesus lives your life with his heart? Your heart gts the day off, and your life is led by the heart of Christ. His priorities govern your actions. His passions drive your decisions. His love directs your behavior.

There it is. Is it as life changing for you as it was me?
I took a few moments and pictured my morning from 6:30-9:30 (it was about 9:30 when I read that for the first time) and pictured what it would be like if I were watching Jesus instead of me. I imagined I was Him facing the regular Monday morning routine. I am replaying in my mind how Jesus would've handled the morning, I am sad to say it looked so much different than how it actually went for me.
I was rushed.
I was snappy.
I was frustrated because I left the house without beds being made and I know what a long day we have ahead.
I was hungry.
I was basically running around like a mad woman.

My vision of Jesus handling my morning was so different.
He was peaceful.
He was purposeful.
He was pleasant.
He was focusing on serving Matt and Callie.

I know from this chapter that through my rebirth with Christ some 15 years ago that Christ lives in me (Galations 2:20). I know this to be true so why does the distance between our hearts and His seem so immense?

I am focusing this morning on finding the Christ hidden deeply beneath who I naturally am. I can find Him in me. 1 Corinthians 2:16 tells us that we have "the very thoughts and mind of Christ" in us because of the salvation we have found in Him.

As I restructure myself to be more like Him this morning, I am focusing on 3 areas:
  • He wanted others to know the Father more than anything. His fullness, His joy, His contentment. Is my goal throughout my day this goal? It has to be.
  • He loved others deeply. He knew them internally. He loved others with the depth that I love Callie. Am I applying that love to everyone around me? I have to be.
  • In every task, He saw it as a way to heal one more heart for God. Am I looking at the heart of a each person in my path and extending the healing power of Christ through my actions? I have to be.
"Those in the circle of Christ had no doubt of His love. Those in our circles should have no doubts about ours"

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, even if to know I'm not alone in my feelings. Jesus is changing me everyday. I am so thankful for his unconditional grace that precedes my failures.

The hours since I have studied this have been like looking through a kaledescope and seeing things so differently. Sometimes my mind has strayed back to my natural train of thoughts but I keep closing my eyes and praying, "Jesus, I know I can find You in me. Please help me to get this. I don't want to miss this."  And guess what? He rushes in and allows me to locate Him deeper each time within my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment